Hi all – as a reminder, I’m changing the way I’m going to assess the weekly writings for the rest of the semester. Starting now, I’m going to post writing prompts for every class we have going forward, but you are only required to respond to three of these writing posts between now and the end of the semester. This way, you can choose to engage with these writings whenever you have the time/mental capacity to do so, and I can still give you weekly writing credit as it’s laid out in the grade breakdown. So, you may respond to one of the prompts below if you choose, or you may wait and respond some other day.
Some possible prompts on “Recuerdo” and “A Trip on the Staten Island Ferry” (respond to whichever one you want):
- Both of these poems are about being in a transitional place – or being between places. In either poem, what role do you think that setting plays? Why place the poem on a boat that brings passengers from one place to another?
QUESTIONS ON THE LORDE:
- Why do you think this poem is addressed to someone who we know nothing about? Who do you imagine Jonno is? What does their role seem to be?
- Talk about the pigeons – what seems important to you about this image of creatures who make their home in a transitional, moving place, never touching land?
- What relationship do you see between the “old men” in the poem and the pigeons?
QUESTIONS ON THE MILLAY:
- Why do you think there’s so much repetition in this poem? What effect does that create for you?
- What kind of relationship is being depicted here? What kind of moment in the lifespan of a relationship? How does the setting on the ferry communicate that?
- What seems to be the point of all the romantic language Millay uses to describe the setting (the sun like a bucketful of gold, etc.)?
- Why do you think the title of the poem is “Recuerdo”?